Huguenots Memorial Museum in Franschhoek, Western Cape, South Africa
This attractive building stands along side the Huguenot Memorial Monument. Parts of the building originate from Saasveld House, Kloof Street in Cape Town which was owned by Baron William Ferdinand van Reede van Oudtshoorn. In its day is was one of the most splendid homes in Cape Town, but when it was demolished in 1954,the Huguenot Society managed to salvage many items from the house, the windows and tiles are used in the Museum building to this day.
Inside this building and in an Annexe across the road is the Huguenot Museum, the theme of the Huguenot Museum in Franschhoek is the history of the Huguenots before and after their arrival at the Cape of Good Hope. The museum contains a large variety of 17th and 18th century Cape Dutch and European furniture, bibles, copper and silver ware, kitchen utensils, documents, farming equiptment, relics and artifacts which illustrate the life of the Huguenots in the area.