The Mother Church or Moederkerk, Church Street, Stellenbosch
The Mother Church or Die Moederkerk, at the top of Church Street, in the historical town of Stellenbosch has been part of the tow since it was established by Simon van der Stel in 1679. Although it has had much building work has been carried out to get to its present way. The architect who designed the church we see today, with its Neo Gothic Tower was, Carl Otto Hager, from Dresden in Germany .
A visit to the church today is well advised to see some of the wonderful architecture and sights within its walls.
The Stained Glass Windows in the church were made according to a French method using coloured glass and concrete. This method was used successfully in older buildings such as St Georges Cathedral in Cape Town. The man behind the design and manufacture of these beautiful windows is Leo Theron, one of the most highly regarded and experienced men in his field in South Africa .
On entry to the church you will be able to pick up an informative leaflet giving the reasons behind the designs on the windows and there significance to the church.
A few other interesting features within the Church are the Pulpit, as we see it today, was also designed by Carl Otto Hager, also in the neo Gothic style and is affine example of Neo Gothic Architecture. The present organ was placed in the church in 1953, although the original mahogany cabinet, housing the organ pipes and the front pipes of the old organ from 1863 were retained. The present sets of bells, of which there are 6, were imported from Germany in 1983. The circular wall within the church dates right back to 1735 and is the oldest unchanged part of the building. In the gardens surrounding the church there are various tombs and graves - four of which are graves of four consecutive ministers - many of the others are ancestors of various Afrikaans families.