Lydenburg means 'town of suffering', this name was given when the voortrekkers had to leave there own towns after Malaria struck, and move here.
The town was established by Voortrekkers in 1849 and lies at the bottom of Long Tom pass. This pass, named after the big gun used by the Afrikaners during the Anglo Boer War, is one of the most scenically dramatic in the country. The town has three National Monuments, one is a gunpowder room which was built by the British in 1889, the Dutch Reform Church , the pulpit of this church is a replica of the one in the Mother Church in Stellenbosch and the final National Monument is the school building which was completed in 1851. Fishermen flock to this area from all over the world to try to compete against the fish in these famous waters. The rivers and dams are well stocked with trout from the De Kuilen Trout Hatchery which can accommodate some 10 million trout eggs!
The Gustav Klingbiel Nature Reserve stretches for some 2200 hectares and has some lovely trails and more beautiful scenery.